Monday, March 23, 2020

Coronavirus Isolation, Boyfriend, and God


My window is cracked open to let the outside world in as I start my second week of self-quarantine, as I am sick during the corona virus pandemic.  I hear church bells ping and birds chirping and the soft patter of rain. It’s a welcome reprieve from the inside noises I am used to experiencing since my landlord painted my room and I couldn’t get my window open. Thankfully it is now open and the world around me calms and quiets me into my thoughts.

I’m aware that words on a paper, though not physical, are memorials of a time. I want to look back and remember this forced time of solitude, termed “shelter in place” by the government, and how it brought out so many new dimensions of our inner lives that we weren’t even aware of. I knew going into this New Yorkers at least would be overwhelmed that they can’t do anything and therefore the quiet would force them to recognize the climate of their inner being. I am no exception.

I am nearly 7 months into a relationship and it’s been nearly a year since we met.  We are both busy New Yorkers. He works a full time job and I have many social, artistic, and religious volunteer commitments aside from my part time job.  The normalcy of our relationship up to this point was not seeing each other all week and then sharing extremely passionate weekends before going back to our daily lives.

Last Monday I started to not feel well.  He had taken off work and I was hoping to spend the day with him, instead I spent it in bed alone. This marked the beginning of a shift in the routines of our relationship that would continue as it continued on a grander level throughout the world. Nothing was normal anymore.

He wasn’t working. I wasn’t working. But we weren’t in physical contact.  We were at our separate apartments talking throughout the day everyday over text, phone call, and Facetime video chat. It seemed so strange to me to be totally physically cut off from him while at the same time having complete access to hearing his voice and knowing what he was doing every second.

I grew restless and frustrated and wanted the comfort of being physically held by him. Saturday night he called me and things weren’t dandy. I was suddenly so insecure. The conversation was disjointed. He was doing a million things. I felt like I wanted to be the center of attention but at the same time had completely run out of things to say. This new way of communicating was bringing up so many new insecurities I didn’t know I had. I was suddenly at a loss for how to communicate that.

Alone in my room that night after he had dropped off to sleep I cried and wrote in my journal wondering what was wrong with me.  I started painting this picture in my mind of who I am to my boyfriend, how I think he sees me.  In my mind I was crazy, emotional, dramatic, too young, and far too virginal.

Well, I may have gotten dramatic right based on how this evening alone went and I practically did go crazy berating myself for not being the kind of person he would want to be with.  But when I told him how I felt essentially asking “who am I to you?” I was met with so much love, so much tenderness. He likes me. He actually likes me.

This new normal in our relationship got me thinking about how God relates to us.  I realize his grace in this whole situation, using it to actually draw my boyfriend and I closer together. God actually told me as I dropped off to sleep that night, “This is my mercy for you. You are learning emotional intimacy without physical intimacy.”

First, this longing for physical closeness that I feel is like the longing we have for union with God and his longing for us. Remember, God used to walk with Adam in the cool of the day.  Now God is in Heaven and we are on earth separated by this tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Christ’s death has given us access to God, but no one has seen his face. Our way of relating to him is internal and emotional.  Our ultimate longing will be fulfilled when we are married to him in Heaven.  What will it look like to be chilling with God in the Heavenly places, having dominion over the earth?  We can only imagine.  God longs for total union and that should be our longing as well.

Secondly, this separation is going to bring up insecurities in our hearts.  We are not doing anything. We tend to put our identities in what we do for the world.  In situations of crisis, especially disease and death, we are forced to recognize how not in control we actually are.  For humans, this can be terrifying. We go down dark rabbit holes in our minds. In these moments of crisis we can either reject God or run towards him. We can assume, as I did with my boyfriend, “he doesn’t care about me.” Or we can ask, “Who am I to you? Who are you to me?”

I have felt since before we were all physically isolated that God would use this for his good. He is drawing us to himself. He wants to meet us on a deep, individual, emotional level. He wants us to learn to develop emotional intimacy with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment