Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Poetry Debut


You’re Kidding
“Come up here,” they say. 
2 hands outstretched, they won’t go away.
“I can’t.  I’ll stay here.”
Panting, whining, moaning, with fear.
Eyes rove spastically.
“Go on without me!” I say dramatically.
Not a chance they will.
The choice is mine to come up still.


Where’s the Lifeguard?
You know
The road you drew
Looks like a river
Who’s current will
Sweep me away
I hesitate
I dip my toe in
I throw off my clothes
And abandon myself
To the waters
At first the water is icy cold
My skin tingles
I can’t breathe
I come up for breath
Flailing as though I will drown
Looking for land
But then the movement
Warms me
As soon as I let go
And swim with the current
I am at peace
Still, I don’t know where
It is taking me
Yet I move with it
I glide smoothly as though
Down a slide
I playfully splash at
Onlookers on the shore
“This is fun!” I scream
Then I dive under again
Suddenly warm yet tingly
With exhaustion
I’m a fish
Well, almost
Learning to swim
I’m at least in the current

No comments:

Post a Comment